This Father Is Raising Awareness On The Dangers Of A Common Household Item After Losing His Daughter

Kids are constantly being told to keep things out of their mouths. Whether it is a morsel of food left on the floor or a dusty overturned spider, parents and guardians make a concerted effort to keep bacteria-laden and dangerous things away from their kids. However, there will still be times where a child can ingest a coin, a small toy or, in this case, a button battery.

George Asan’s daughter passed away after she swallowed a button battery without his knowledge.

Read more to find out.

Francesca was just two years old when she swallowed a button battery. Since the battery was small, there were no immediate signs of discomfort such as choking.

But the danger was still there. The minute the battery touched Francesca’s internal fluids, it began to erode and leak poisonous material into her system.

Once the battery touches any fluids (such as saliva) they create caustic soda which will burn through organ lining and flesh.

These batteries burn a hole through the stomach and esophagus which creates irreversible damage. In just a few hours, those who have ingested the battery will emit symptoms similar to a stomach ache or a virus.

But with no outward symptoms immediately to look for, there was nothing George could do as his two-year-old girl passed away.

Since then he has teamed up with the Child Accident Prevention Trust to make sure that the same thing doesn’t happen to any other parents or guardians.

According to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, what happened to Francesca wasn’t a freak accident. More than 3,400 children ingested a button battery in 2010 alone.

Although George feels guilty for what happened to Francesca, he understands that it was in the past and he has now focused himself on making sure other parents can avoid a similar situation.

Doctors are speaking out about the alarming increase in cases where young children swallow button batteries. And this may be because these batteries are used in almost everything.

From thermometers to key fobs, to musical greeting cards, watches, and even children’s toys, these little batteries are used to power many small household objects.

Children can even pop the lid off of certain toys (rather easily) and take the batteries out themselves.

This is why George is warning parents to be aware of the things that they bring into the house and to make sure that it is not easily accessible to young children.

Source : www.providr.com